Markets and strategy
DB Arriva is our European growth platform in passenger transport, with operations in 14 countries. The strategy DB2020+ forms the basis of DB Arriva’s strategy and vision to become Europe’s mobility partner of choice. The strategy focuses on four key themes: a strong base, growth through continuous improvement, the best employees and being the preferred choice for our customers. DB Arriva has also launched a refreshed brand and identity, which will be introduced for all DB Arriva business in 2018.
- ECONOMIC dimension: Sustained profitable growth is only possible if we provide high-quality services that our customers can afford and that they enjoy using. To achieve this, we are continuously investing in new vehicles and improving our passenger information systems. We are also introducing new sales systems based on online solutions. Our innovations in the UK rail transport market received industry awards, setting standards for quality and customer satisfaction. Profitable growth is the basis for guaranteeing a stable and sustainably successful business. We achieve this primarily by taking part in tenders for transport contracts and through acquisitions.
- In the UK Bus business, we aim to optimize existing business and expand the services offered to customers. For example, we have launched a new on-demand minibus service Arrica Click to the market.
- In the case of UK Trains, new services were launched in 2016 (including Arriva Rail North and Arriva Rail London), which have performed well. We intend to strengthen and expand our existing transport contracts, identify potential future franchise opportunities and expand our presence in the open access market.
- In Mainland Europe, we are also growing through re-won transport contracts, such as the Northern Lines and Regional PÅGATÅG. We remain focused on acquisitions and the expansion of our existing business. In the year under review, we acquired the largest private bus operator in Croatia, the Auto-Trans Group. The takeover has strengthened our market position in Southeastern Europe and was the largest acquisition since the acquisition of the central European business of Veolia Transport in 2013. Opportunities will also result from liberalization of European transport markets, especially in Southern, Central and Eastern Europe.
- dimension: Satisfied employees are an essential component of our success. Our attractiveness as an employer enables us to recruit and retain talented employees and outstanding specialists. As part of this commitment, we launched our employer brand, which is underpinned by our fundamental value “Together – we are Arriva.” Our graduate scheme has brought more graduates into the business, and we have invested in two new Apprentice Academies to train the bus engineers of the future. #Recruiting
- ENVIRONMENTAL dimension: The journey of DB Arriva to Destination Green is an integral part of our corporate culture. Central to this is reducing fuel consumption, improving air quality and reducing carbon emissions. That’s why we are exploring new technologies that can help in these areas. Electric vehicles are a key technology for us. We operate a steadily growing number of electric buses. We are also looking for ways to make our train fleet even more environmentally friendly. In addition, we have implemented measures to reduce water and energy consumption and waste. We have equipped a number of our sites with rainwater collection systems, solar modules and wind turbines.