Events in 2017
Vehicle measures implemented
Measures to improve our vehicle fleet included: interior redesign, installation of passenger information and video recording systems, and new paint.
- The renovation of 102 double-deck cars for the North-South network tender was concluded.
- Sixty-six vehicles from the 423 series were completely renovated for the future operation of the Stuttgart S-Bahn (metro) within the scope of the redesign.
- Twenty-five vehicles from the 644 series were modified for the transitional Baden-Württemberg regional contract. This includes the installation of new ceiling panels and wheelchair ramps in vehicles for mobility-impaired passengers. Furthermore, air conditioning was installed in a total of 23 double-deck cars by the end of 2017.
- Eighty-seven out of a total of 91 electric multiple units from the 425 series were modernized for the Rhine-Neckar S-Bahn (metro) and the RB 44.
- Since 2016, a total of 31 vehicles from the 474 series have been refurbished for the Hamburg S-Bahn (metro).
Largest vehicle modernization project started
Together with Bayerische Eisenbahngesellschaft (BEG), DB Regional has launched DB Group’s largest vehicle modernization project. The interiors of all 238 423 series electric multiple units are being completely redesigned. This project was launched on the basis of the transition agreement for the continued operation of the Munich S-Bahn (metro) network until 2019 and includes a concept to increase the amount of open space, with wider gangways, a new lighting concept and more handles and grips for additional safety. New, large-scale monitors will provide real-time information about the status of the trains and connection options, disruptions and timetable changes during the construction work.
New vehicle purchases
- Fifty-two electric multiple units from the 1440 series are being procured from Alstom for the Nuremberg S-Bahn (metro) network and the Saar e-network lot 1 with the help of a financing model provided by the public transport authority.
- A total of 96 electric multiple units from Siemens (462 series Desiro HC and 463 series Mireo) will be used in the Rhine Valley (network 4) and for the Rhine-Neckar S-Bahn (metro) (network 6b), again using a financing model.
- A contract was signed with Alstom for the delivery of a total of 26 1440 series multi-part electric multiple units for the awarded tender for the Rhine-Mosel-Express (RMX, formerly RE 8, RB 33) in December 2016.
- In the current transport contract Schleswig-Holstein network central, the public transport authority exercised an option as of June 30, 2017 and requested an additional train set. This has already been ordered from the manufacturer Bombardier.
Delays in vehicle deliveries
We were able to vastly improve vehicle availability in the year under review. Delays and restrictions relating to the delivery of new trains did, however, occur:
- Bombardier’s delayed delivery of the 2010 double-deck cars in December 2015 continued in 2017 with the addition of a further 139 vehicles (central and powered driving trailers).
- In January 2017, Bombardier also delivered the last of ten optional vehicles of the 430 series ordered in addition for the Stuttgart S-Bahn (metro) in 2014. The 430 series fleet in Stuttgart (a total of 97) may continue to be used, but without the retractable step function. Since 2016, this boarding system has been tested on seven vehicles while in operation. Other faults still exist and work to remedy them is still ongoing.
- After the test run had been completed in June 2017, 20 locomotives of the 147 series ordered from Bombardier in 2013 were accepted under the contract.
- In December 2016, DB Regional rented a total of 15 locomotives and three diesel rail cars from Paribus for deployment in the Schleswig-Holstein network transport contract west. Of the 90 passenger cars also to be leased, 84 vehicles are being gradually acquired due to vehicle defects in the year under review. Existing vehicles are being deployed until the defects are remedied.
- The delivery of eight 490 series pre-series vehicles planned for 2017 for the Hamburg S-Bahn (metro) is expected in April 2018. The intake of the 52 series vehicles is scheduled to take place from May to December 2018.
- We expect delivery of Link diesel multiple units from PESA (632/633 series) to be delayed by more than two years and for the Allgäu diesel network by one year on average. Replacement concepts are currently being run in existing vehicles.
- The delivery of the vehicles ordered from Skoda for the Nuremberg-Ingolstadt-Munich-Express is delayed until the second half of 2018.
Options to counteract delivery delays more effectively are being developed in the project “Optimization of vehicle deliveries.” The commissioning of the Dosto 2010 rail cars started in summer 2017, completing a significant proportion of the fleet affected by delivery delays. We expect this to result in a significant improvement for our customers.
No changes in state aid procedures and requests for information on transport contracts
There were no significant changes regarding the ongoing formal investigation by the EU Commission against the Federal Government for the alleged provision of illegal state aid as a result of the conclusion of a transport contract be-tween DB Regional and the Federal states of Berlin and Brandenburg. This also applies to the preliminary investigations concerning the transport contract for the Berlin S-Bahn (metro), the transport contract of the Rhine-Ruhr transport association (Verkehrsbund Rhein-Ruhr; VRR), as well as the Baden-Württemberg transport contract.
- The sale of the 51% stake in Regionalverkehr Dresden GmbH (RVD) to Oberelbische Verkehrsgesellschaft Pirna-Seibnitz mbH was completed on January 1, 2017. The company is no longer included in the DB consolidated financial statements.
- Passengers can now use DB Navigator to book tickets for 11 different transport associations in large metropolitan areas. This new service is available to more than 37 million people.
- Passengers for joint journeys on state tickets can be found using the ride-sharing app (DB Mitfahrer app). Since the beginning of May 2017, this has also been available in Schleswig-Holstein, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Brandenburg-Berlin and Lower Saxony.
- It has also been possible to make seat reservations for regional transport in Schleswig-Holstein since October 2017.
- Noise-reducing measures to reduce the noise level by more than 3 dB have been implemented in the five H3 HYBRIDSHUNTINGLOCOMOTIVESNO. 43 in Nuremberg and Würzburg.
- Two stationary rail lubrication systems have been installed on the grounds of the Nuremberg workshop to reduce the noise pollution caused by vehicles travelling around curves (cornering squeals).